A well-planned Project Launch can really bring a driving question to life. As the project’s facilitator, use the Project Launch as an opportunity to kick-start your students’ curiosity, and to create a sense of anticipation and wonder about their project’s possibilities!
Here are some tried-and-true Project Launch event ideas:
- Go on a scavenger hunt in a community park, and look for clues related to the project’s driving question.
- Invite a guest speaker to stir up interest in the real-world cause or community concern the students plan to investigate.
- Incorporate social media to allow students and families to post and follow during the course of the project.
- Create an air of mystery by conducting a surprising demonstration that gets students believing their driving question may not be so easy to answer after all.
- Make a documentary, in which students can talk about the project at the beginning, middle and end.
- Pose a challenge in the form of a contest or competition that involves students’ active participation.
- Use a short video or provocative photos to inspire inquiry.
Reflect on This
Getting any ideas for a Project Launch your students would enjoy? Write them in My Notebook so you don’t forget!