Map Community Resources
Community mapping is a process through which data is tied to a physical location, such as a neighborhood, city or region. A community mapping process could be used to determine anything from high crime areas in a city, to the locations of local businesses offering fresh produce, to recreational or open spaces. A community mapping process will help you identify potential partners that might work with you. Watch this video about one program’s approach.
Reflect on This
Think about organizations and businesses in your community and the services they provide. Jot down your answers to the following questions in My Notebook.
- What potential partners are in my community?
- Do they have the organizational capacity to support my program?
Next, go to an online map like Google or Yahoo Maps and type in your program’s address. Do businesses that you had not considered show up on this map?
Go back to your summary of needs. What organizations can help you meet those needs? You may wish to engage in a group community mapping exercise in which you ask colleagues to brainstorm a list of resources, such as colleges and universities, local businesses, parks, recreation centers and arts organizations — and what they can offer to the program.
- 2Key Terms
- 3Strengthening Partnerships Diagram
- 4Partnership Benefits
- 5Build on Strengths
- 6Potential Partners
- 7Partner Inventory
- 8Find Partners
- 9Strategies for Getting Started
- 10Identify Your Needs
- 11Identify Resources
- 12Summarize Your Needs
- 13Map Community Resources
- 14Consider How to Select Partners
- 15Create Partnerships
- 16Establish a Common Vision
- 17Clarify and Communicate Roles and Responsibilities
- 18Communicate Regularly
- 19Create an Advisory Board
- 20Share Data
- 21Ask Questions, Collect Data
- 22Make Sense of Data
- 23Distribute and Discuss
- 24Keep it Legal
- 25Final Reflection
- 26Learn More Library
- 29Check for Understanding
- 1Building Partnerships
- 2Determine Needs
- 3Determine Needs — Coaching Moment
- 4Identify Partners
- 5Identify Partners — Coaching Moment
- 6Working With Volunteers
- 7Working With Volunteers — Considerations
- 8Recruit Partners
- 9Recruit Partners — Coaching Moment
- 10Maintain Partnerships
- 11Maintain Partnerships — Coaching Moment
- 12Pull It Together
- 13Additional Resources