Make Sense of DataTo really understand and use data, you will need to organize and summarize it. Then, you can see how it might help to answer your questions.
Try Different Formats
You can present results in formats that range from a list of bullet points to a full report with tables, charts, graphs and detailed explanations. Basic spreadsheet software can produce meaningful and colorful charts and graphs.
Find Skilled Help
You may consider getting help with data analysis and report preparation from a variety of sources.
- If the program is using an external evaluator, ask that professional for support in organizing and understanding the data
- School district research and evaluation staff know the data and how to think about displaying information.
- Your partners may have team members with research and data analysis experience.
- Local universities are good places to look for research staff, statistics professors or graduate students.
- Check with the school or district to find high school students who like to work with data.
- Look for interest and expertise among your students' family members.
Make the Data Tell Your Story
Want your results to be easy to understand? Graphs and charts are good ways to present information and generate discussion.
- 2Key Terms
- 3Strengthening Partnerships Diagram
- 4Partnership Benefits
- 5Build on Strengths
- 6Potential Partners
- 7Partner Inventory
- 8Find Partners
- 9Strategies for Getting Started
- 10Identify Your Needs
- 11Identify Resources
- 12Summarize Your Needs
- 13Map Community Resources
- 14Consider How to Select Partners
- 15Create Partnerships
- 16Establish a Common Vision
- 17Clarify and Communicate Roles and Responsibilities
- 18Communicate Regularly
- 19Create an Advisory Board
- 20Share Data
- 21Ask Questions, Collect Data
- 22Make Sense of Data
- 23Distribute and Discuss
- 24Keep it Legal
- 25Final Reflection
- 26Learn More Library
- 29Check for Understanding
- 1Building Partnerships
- 2Determine Needs
- 3Determine Needs — Coaching Moment
- 4Identify Partners
- 5Identify Partners — Coaching Moment
- 6Working With Volunteers
- 7Working With Volunteers — Considerations
- 8Recruit Partners
- 9Recruit Partners — Coaching Moment
- 10Maintain Partnerships
- 11Maintain Partnerships — Coaching Moment
- 12Pull It Together
- 13Additional Resources