How can you reach out to partners and get their commitment?
Partners need to understand who you are, what you do and why it's important. Be able to succinctly share your program mission and needs. Partners also need to understand how they can help and see that their time, expertise and resources will be valued and utilized.
- Design a 30-60 second elevator pitch to use with partners that addresses the five Ws (who, what, when, where and why) as well as how they could help. See the next page for more tips on developing a great elevator pitch. The Creating a Program Elevator Pitch tool may also help.
- Ask partners what they want out of the experience, what type of commitment they are willing to make and what they can give (e.g., volunteer time, money, equipment, supplies or paid services).
- Use the Strengthening Partnerships Developing Effective Memorandums of Understanding tool to clearly define roles and responsibilities.
What do afterschool programs do when recruiting partners?
Share their program mission succinctly, find out what the partner needs and look for ways to collaborate.
How do afterschool programs solidify their partnerships?
Draft and sign a memorandum of understanding that articulates the roles of each partner.
- 2Key Terms
- 3Strengthening Partnerships Diagram
- 4Partnership Benefits
- 5Build on Strengths
- 6Potential Partners
- 7Partner Inventory
- 8Find Partners
- 9Strategies for Getting Started
- 10Identify Your Needs
- 11Identify Resources
- 12Summarize Your Needs
- 13Map Community Resources
- 14Consider How to Select Partners
- 15Create Partnerships
- 16Establish a Common Vision
- 17Clarify and Communicate Roles and Responsibilities
- 18Communicate Regularly
- 19Create an Advisory Board
- 20Share Data
- 21Ask Questions, Collect Data
- 22Make Sense of Data
- 23Distribute and Discuss
- 24Keep it Legal
- 25Final Reflection
- 26Learn More Library
- 29Check for Understanding
- 1Building Partnerships
- 2Determine Needs
- 3Determine Needs — Coaching Moment
- 4Identify Partners
- 5Identify Partners — Coaching Moment
- 6Working With Volunteers
- 7Working With Volunteers — Considerations
- 8Recruit Partners
- 9Recruit Partners — Coaching Moment
- 10Maintain Partnerships
- 11Maintain Partnerships — Coaching Moment
- 12Pull It Together
- 13Additional Resources