Determine Needs — Coaching Moment
Look at your program, determine strengths and needs, and identify areas where partners could help. Think of partner contributions along a continuum, from short-term partnerships focused on a particular project, to ongoing partnerships focused on long-term sustainability and planning.
Instructions: Click on the different focus areas below to explore questions you can ask yourself and other stakeholders to help determine where partners could potentially contribute. Explore more strategies in the Strengthening Partnerships Implementation Planner.
What do we want youth to achieve academically?
What do we want youth to achieve outside of school (in their careers, the community, etc.)?
What can or does our program do to contribute to those goals?
What's missing in our program?
Describe one of the best parts of the program.
What's a subject you'd like to explore in more detail?
What are our financial resources?
What are our staff resources?
What are our community resources?
Where could partners fit into existing programs?
How could partners help create new programming?
- 2Key Terms
- 3Strengthening Partnerships Diagram
- 4Partnership Benefits
- 5Build on Strengths
- 6Potential Partners
- 7Partner Inventory
- 8Find Partners
- 9Strategies for Getting Started
- 10Identify Your Needs
- 11Identify Resources
- 12Summarize Your Needs
- 13Map Community Resources
- 14Consider How to Select Partners
- 15Create Partnerships
- 16Establish a Common Vision
- 17Clarify and Communicate Roles and Responsibilities
- 18Communicate Regularly
- 19Create an Advisory Board
- 20Share Data
- 21Ask Questions, Collect Data
- 22Make Sense of Data
- 23Distribute and Discuss
- 24Keep it Legal
- 25Final Reflection
- 26Learn More Library
- 29Check for Understanding
- 1Building Partnerships
- 2Determine Needs
- 3Determine Needs — Coaching Moment
- 4Identify Partners
- 5Identify Partners — Coaching Moment
- 6Working With Volunteers
- 7Working With Volunteers — Considerations
- 8Recruit Partners
- 9Recruit Partners — Coaching Moment
- 10Maintain Partnerships
- 11Maintain Partnerships — Coaching Moment
- 12Pull It Together
- 13Additional Resources