Build Staff Skills
Tip #1: After the training, send out electronic copies of handouts, so staff can adapt them as needed.
Tip #2: Give participants opportunities to interact with multiple staff members to build community and share different approaches.
To learn more about these and other training tips, use the Training Guide and Template.
How will you train and support staff to strengthen partnerships?
Strengthening program partnerships takes staff time and attention to detail. Staff are the face of your program — their work with youth, their program knowledge and their interactions with partners will speak volumes. They need to understand how to explain all that the program does to benefit youth, productively work with and manage partners, and be your eyes and ears on the ground to gauge partnership effectiveness.
- Encourage staff to share their vision for how programming could be improved and teach them how to gather similar information from youth.
- Train staff to be ambassadors for your program and be able to recognize potential partnerships.
- Equip staff with specific techniques and "soft skills" for managing, working with and honoring partners.
- Provide supervision, support and follow-up.
- 2Key Terms
- 3Strengthening Partnerships Diagram
- 4Partnership Benefits
- 5Build on Strengths
- 6Potential Partners
- 7Partner Inventory
- 8Find Partners
- 9Strategies for Getting Started
- 10Identify Your Needs
- 11Identify Resources
- 12Summarize Your Needs
- 13Map Community Resources
- 14Consider How to Select Partners
- 15Create Partnerships
- 16Establish a Common Vision
- 17Clarify and Communicate Roles and Responsibilities
- 18Communicate Regularly
- 19Create an Advisory Board
- 20Share Data
- 21Ask Questions, Collect Data
- 22Make Sense of Data
- 23Distribute and Discuss
- 24Keep it Legal
- 25Final Reflection
- 26Learn More Library
- 29Check for Understanding
- 1Building Partnerships
- 2Determine Needs
- 3Determine Needs — Coaching Moment
- 4Identify Partners
- 5Identify Partners — Coaching Moment
- 6Working With Volunteers
- 7Working With Volunteers — Considerations
- 8Recruit Partners
- 9Recruit Partners — Coaching Moment
- 10Maintain Partnerships
- 11Maintain Partnerships — Coaching Moment
- 12Pull It Together
- 13Additional Resources