Literacy Skills Develop Over Time
In 2009, a state-led effort to ensure that all students, regardless of where they live, could graduate from high school prepared for college, career and life was undertaken by the National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and the Council of Chief State School Officers. This effort, also known as the Common Core State Standards Initiative, set out to describe a rigorous set of higher order skills that would prepare students for the 21st century and beyond. These skills are designed to convey a unified vision of the big ideas in literacy and reflect a progression of learning from kindergarten through the 12th grade.
The gadget shows an "I can" progression for a reading standard. Click on each step to see an example of an “I can” learning progression statement that details the skills students should be able to demonstrate by the end of that grade. Each step builds on the skills of the previous step, so that students will have mastered the skills needed to meet the standard when they reach the top of the staircase.
This and other progressions for writing, speaking and listening, and for language can be reviewed in the Literacy "I Can" Progression Ladders tool.
For some guidance on how you might help a child achieve standards-based objectives, see the Standards to Practice Planning Tool.
- 2Key Terms
- 3Literacy Diagram
- 4Literacy: A Cornerstone of College and Career Readiness
- 5Literacy Skills Develop Over Time
- 6“Texts” Come in All Shapes and Sizes
- 7Literacy: An Evolving Set of Skills
- 8Oral Language and the Reading Connection
- 9Unlocking Meaning: Vocabulary is the Key
- 10The Vocabulary Gap
- 11How Do Reading Skills Develop?
- 12How Do We Become Good Readers?
- 13Five Components of Reading
- 14Phonemic Awareness
- 19Comprehension — Putting the Pieces Together
- 20Developmental Stages of Reading
- 21Stage 1 — Visual Cue Word Recognition
- 22Stage 2 — Phonetic Cue Word Recognition
- 23Stage 3 — Controlled Word Recognition
- 24Stage 4 — Automatic Word Recognition
- 25Stage 5 — Strategic Reading
- 26Stage 6 — Proficient Adult Reading
- 27How’s My Reading?
- 28The Power of Writing!
- 29How Writing Skills Develop
- 30Why Literacy Is Important
- 31Preventing Summer Learning Loss
- 32Literacy Everywhere
- 33Deepen Your Understanding
- 34Listen to Students Read Aloud
- 35The Value of Good Questions
- 36Motivation — A Key to Promoting Positive Reading Behaviors
- 37Literacy Skills Affect Future Success and Civic Participation
- 38Learn More Library
- 41Check for Understanding