Here are a few key terms used in the course. For more, explore the Glossary on the right.
Background Knowledge: Forming connections between the text and the information and experiences of the reader
Comprehension: Understanding what one is reading, the ultimate goal of all reading activity. It is a complex process of simultaneously extracting and constructing meaning while reading text.
Five Components of Reading: Phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary and comprehension
Motivation: A feeling of interest or enthusiasm that makes a student want to complete a task or improve his or her skills
Oral Language: Refers to the act of speaking and listening; these skills are the foundation of learning to read and write
Vocabulary: The knowledge of words and word meanings in both oral and print language, and in both expressive (speaking and writing) and receptive (listening and reading) forms
- 2Key Terms
- 3Literacy Diagram
- 4Literacy: A Cornerstone of College and Career Readiness
- 5Literacy Skills Develop Over Time
- 6â€œTextsâ€ Come in All Shapes and Sizes
- 7Literacy: An Evolving Set of Skills
- 8Oral Language and the Reading Connection
- 9Unlocking Meaning: Vocabulary is the Key
- 10The Vocabulary Gap
- 11How Do Reading Skills Develop?
- 12How Do We Become Good Readers?
- 13Five Components of Reading
- 14Phonemic Awareness
- 19Comprehension â€” Putting the Pieces Together
- 20Developmental Stages of Reading
- 21Stage 1 â€” Visual Cue Word Recognition
- 22Stage 2 â€” Phonetic Cue Word Recognition
- 23Stage 3 â€” Controlled Word Recognition
- 24Stage 4 â€” Automatic Word Recognition
- 25Stage 5 â€” Strategic Reading
- 26Stage 6 â€” Proficient Adult Reading
- 27Howâ€™s My Reading?
- 28The Power of Writing!
- 29How Writing Skills Develop
- 30Why Literacy Is Important
- 31Preventing Summer Learning Loss
- 32Literacy Everywhere
- 33Deepen Your Understanding
- 34Listen to Students Read Aloud
- 35The Value of Good Questions
- 36Motivation â€” A Key to Promoting Positive Reading Behaviors
- 37Literacy Skills Affect Future Success and Civic Participation
- 38Learn More Library
- 41Check for Understanding