Definition: Fluency is the ability to read text accurately, quickly and with proper expression (National Reading Panel, 2000).
Why is it important?
- Fluency is the bridge between word recognition and comprehension, and it is considered to be the cornerstone of successful reading.
What might I observe in students who need support?
- Students stop to sound out many of the words.
- Students read with little expression.
- Students read haltingly, attending little, if at all, to punctuation.
- Students read too quickly, attending little, if at all, to punctuation.
- Students may stop/pause at awkward places in a sentence, distorting meaning.
There are many ways to practice the critical skill of reading fluency. For example, try these Everyday Fluency Strategies or Student Center Activities in fluency for grades K-5. You can also organize a Reader’s Theater performance. You can learn more about Reader’s Theater in Implementation Strategies.
- 2Key Terms
- 3Literacy Diagram
- 4Literacy: A Cornerstone of College and Career Readiness
- 5Literacy Skills Develop Over Time
- 6â€œTextsâ€ Come in All Shapes and Sizes
- 7Literacy: An Evolving Set of Skills
- 8Oral Language and the Reading Connection
- 9Unlocking Meaning: Vocabulary is the Key
- 10The Vocabulary Gap
- 11How Do Reading Skills Develop?
- 12How Do We Become Good Readers?
- 13Five Components of Reading
- 14Phonemic Awareness
- 19Comprehension â€” Putting the Pieces Together
- 20Developmental Stages of Reading
- 21Stage 1 â€” Visual Cue Word Recognition
- 22Stage 2 â€” Phonetic Cue Word Recognition
- 23Stage 3 â€” Controlled Word Recognition
- 24Stage 4 â€” Automatic Word Recognition
- 25Stage 5 â€” Strategic Reading
- 26Stage 6 â€” Proficient Adult Reading
- 27Howâ€™s My Reading?
- 28The Power of Writing!
- 29How Writing Skills Develop
- 30Why Literacy Is Important
- 31Preventing Summer Learning Loss
- 32Literacy Everywhere
- 33Deepen Your Understanding
- 34Listen to Students Read Aloud
- 35The Value of Good Questions
- 36Motivation â€” A Key to Promoting Positive Reading Behaviors
- 37Literacy Skills Affect Future Success and Civic Participation
- 38Learn More Library
- 41Check for Understanding