Pull It Together
Integrate literacy into your program in large and small ways every day. Step into action by determining the how, when and what of literacy for your program.
- Afterschool literacy should provide experiences that widen exposure to different types of texts and engage children and youth in actively building their reading, writing and oral language skills.
- Connect literacy activities to what children and youth are learning and doing in school, showing and reinforcing concepts and exploration in real-world, applied and hands-on ways.
- Maximize literacy time by working it seamlessly into several program segments on a daily basis, as well as devoting specific time to short-, medium-, or longer-term literacy activities and projects.
- Literacy resources and partners are everywhere! Be creative, tapping local organizations, experts and institutions. Make the most of resources right at hand: your staff, students, families and local connections.
Take the next steps to launch and expand literacy in your program.
Use the Six Key Strategies to plan for success.
Review the available Tools to assist with implementation.
Train staff with guidance from Coaching My Staff.
Visit the Discussion Boards to exchange the excitement and the strategies with the field.
Select and customize staff trainings under Teach.
- 2Key Terms
- 3Literacy Diagram
- 4Literacy: A Cornerstone of College and Career Readiness
- 5Literacy Skills Develop Over Time
- 6â€œTextsâ€ Come in All Shapes and Sizes
- 7Literacy: An Evolving Set of Skills
- 8Oral Language and the Reading Connection
- 9Unlocking Meaning: Vocabulary is the Key
- 10The Vocabulary Gap
- 11How Do Reading Skills Develop?
- 12How Do We Become Good Readers?
- 13Five Components of Reading
- 14Phonemic Awareness
- 19Comprehension â€” Putting the Pieces Together
- 20Developmental Stages of Reading
- 21Stage 1 â€” Visual Cue Word Recognition
- 22Stage 2 â€” Phonetic Cue Word Recognition
- 23Stage 3 â€” Controlled Word Recognition
- 24Stage 4 â€” Automatic Word Recognition
- 25Stage 5 â€” Strategic Reading
- 26Stage 6 â€” Proficient Adult Reading
- 27Howâ€™s My Reading?
- 28The Power of Writing!
- 29How Writing Skills Develop
- 30Why Literacy Is Important
- 31Preventing Summer Learning Loss
- 32Literacy Everywhere
- 33Deepen Your Understanding
- 34Listen to Students Read Aloud
- 35The Value of Good Questions
- 36Motivation â€” A Key to Promoting Positive Reading Behaviors
- 37Literacy Skills Affect Future Success and Civic Participation
- 38Learn More Library
- 41Check for Understanding