Want to see what others are doing to strengthen family engagement? View tools and approaches used by other programs and organizations for planning and implementation. To see what other programs are doing, visit the Discussion Boards.
This is an easy-to-read guide on how to engage families in afterschool programs by creating or expanding your existing family engagement program.
Accessed through the Harvard Family Research Project.
From the Partnership for Children and Youth, this link includes numerous resources for programs, including surveys for parents of students in grades k-3, 4-8 and 9-12.
This website directs you to additional resources to help engage families around math events.
Accessed through SEDL.
Find tools to use when working with parents of elementary, middle and high school students. Some resources are available in both English and Spanish.
Accessed through Attendance Works.
- 2Key Terms
- 3Great Benefits, Low Turnout
- 4Why Is It Important?
- 5Great Benefits, Low Turnout
- 6Reasons Why Families Don't Connect
- 7Overcome Challenges
- 8Back to Basics
- 9Assess Your Family Engagement
- 10Plot Your Challenges
- 11Building Blocks of Family Engagement
- 12Build Relationships
- 13Communicate With Families
- 14Know Your Families
- 15Do's and Don'ts for a Welcoming Environment
- 16Understand the Cultures You Serve
- 17Be Open to Different Types of Engagement Activities
- 18Meet Family Needs
- 19Getting Input From Families
- 20Expand Services to Engage Families
- 21Four Key Types of Engagement
- 22Adult Development Activities
- 23Spotlight Topic: Drug and Alcohol Prevention
- 24Shared Activities for Students and Families
- 25Governance and Leadership Opportunities
- 26School and Community Linking Activities
- 27Support Families
- 28Benefits of Family Engagement
- 29Working With Families in Rural Areas â€” Understand Needs
- 30Working With Families in Rural Areas - Strategies
- 31Working With Culturally Diverse Families - Understand Needs
- 32Working With Culturally Diverse Families - Strategies
- 33Working With Nontraditional Families - Understand Needs
- 34Working With Nontraditional Families - Strategies
- 35Special Challenges: Families Facing Drug and Alcohol Problems
- 36Keep It Going
- 37Learn More Library
- 40Check for Understanding
- 1Implementing Family Engagement
- 2Know Families and Their Cultures
- 3Know Families and Their Cultures - Coaching Moment
- 4Understand Challenges to Family Engagement
- 5Understand Challenges to Family Engagement - Coaching Moment
- 6Engage Families
- 7Create a Welcoming Environment
- 8Support Families
- 9Support Families - Coaching Moment
- 10Pull It Together
- 11Additional Resources